Skip to main content

The Parts of Parts of Art

     If you were to come to one of my shows, you may hear me refer to the jewelry pieces as collages of "all kinds of stuff from my studio.”

And that is an accurate statement. After all, they are called Parts of Art, and they originated from the stuff in my studio. 

Here is one of my favorite Parts parts, and the story behind it.


      I occasionally make cards and frameable art pieces that involve hand stamped verbiage. The process is wonderful and fun, because the letter stamps have a uniqueness to them that adds to the one of a kind nature of my work. When I am stamping, I keep a piece of paper on hand to practice the stamp before applying it to the art. This paper becomes a story in itself, full of letters that spell nothing but look pleasing and random.
    Because our art studio is out in the country, and because we had not yet plugged all the holes left from the years before we moved back here, sometimes unwanted visitors would venture in at night. One night, one such visitor came in, dipped his paw in my watercolor water container, then walked across my work table, leaving his signature paw print on my practice page. (He left his mark in a few other ways that are unspeakable.)



      So now this page is part of the story of my studio life. It is, like everything else I use, one of a kind. It does find its way into my jewelry pieces. I have made copies of the page, painted it, glazed it, embellished it, and even added resin to it. 











These pieces and more are available at my store at Sandyartparts.etsy.com.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Line-up

 Look what's coming up in the new year! First up: Artful Journaling. Guests will receive a blank journal of watercolor paper, access to all kinds of art supplies, with limited instruction and demos. Snacks, coffee and lots of laughter will be provided.  Next up: Relax, Unwind & Refresh. Great way to start off the new year! Guests will be making a frameable art piece at the table with friends. Wine, sparkling cider and charcuterie board will be provided. Also this month: Art Class, every Thursday afternoon from 1-3 PM. Bring your own artwork in progress or join in the group project. Coffee and snacks, limited instruction and plenty of camaraderie will be provided.   Register here  for any classes or events. See you soon!

Harmonious Blends and other musings

       So what makes it a harmonious blend?      Harmony is a combination of units which are similar in one or more respects. Units are harmonious when one or more of their elements or qualities, such as shape, size, or color, are alike.      In this sketch, done by my husband in preparation for a painting commission of a Chilean vineyard, I am struck by the harmonious blend of the directional lines that lead the eye through the painting. Design in art is not random, it is planned by the use of the elements of design, such as line tone, color and form. In this drawing, the lines of the vineyard rows lead the eye of the viewer toward the distance and then back toward the front. Harmony is achieved by the variegated, yet similar, lines that form the rows of planted vines.       In 2019, I am going to explore all aspects of visual harmony. Whether it is fashion, art jewelry design, mixed media, or just different asp...

Big News!

      For awhile now I have been thinking about sustainability with my work.  As in, how long can I honestly sustain this pace of doing art shows all over the midwest? Which I love, mind you, BUT. You may not know this but I'm not getting any younger! The gamble with shows is that, even with the best preparations, it may not be worth all the trouble. It could be a great show, with sales non-stop, or the opposite, with barely enough to cover expenses. And whether great, good or bad, it still requires the same immense energy. Not to mention gas, lodging and food. I am not complaining; I've had a pretty good show season. That being said, I have been thinking alot about sustainability.        I'm also thinking ahead about the daily routine of going out to the studio (which I love) and starting the  fire in the woodstove  (also love) and then waiting the hours it takes to get it warm enough to work.  Add to that how the groundhogs have m...