Skip to main content

Up and Running

 Show season is up and running!

Next up: One of my favorites, the Crosby Festival of the Arts. It will be held in the beautiful Toledo Botanical Garden June 28-30. I'll be in booth 178 - the Purple Zone- which is where I've been located before. 

     One thing I love about this event is the location. My booth is situated close to the herb garden, which is laid out on an inviting pathway, full of life and color. I look forward to taking photos of the gardens, which will eventually find their way into my art. Here's some from last year:




     I'm excited to return to the event with my mixed media collage paintings. I've been at work on some new pieces, which will also be available. Here's a sneak peek at the latest work:







       I'm still aiming to capture that path of light through leaves. 
I combine paint, papers, ink, wax resist, linocut printing, colored pencils and canvas. My aim is to combine these various materials to express life in its untamed tangle of exuberant growth. 

     I hope to see you at the show! Remember, if you are my client and ready to add to your collection, I will honor a 20% client discount. If you are unable to attend but interested in a purchase, email me with the details of what you want and we'll make it happen. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paint and Palettes

          I’ve always been a lover of paint and paint palettes. I vividly remember the excitement I felt opening that rectangular tin filled with round cakes of watercolor paint in elementary school. I was hooked! From that point on, I have wanted to explore and express within the inviting purity of paint.          In 1988 I had a beach side shop where I hand painted women's clothing. I was using acrylic paint in abundance. One morning I had cleaned my palette off, and had peeled a large colorful piece of variegated and textured acrylic paint from it.  Some friends of mine came into the shop (actually it was my minister and his wife). During our brief conversation, I showed them the peeled up paint and said, “This is too pretty to throw away, but I don’t know what to do with it.” The husband said, “Oh, you should cut it up and make it into jewelry!” We all laughed about it. It was like "Yeah right, I should try it!”   After they left I thought "Wow, that could have been

The Clearing, Revisited

     I've been talking a lot about the importance of having a muted palette, meaning very little color.  But lately, I've wanted to add color to some of the paintings that I did over the last few years. So that's what I've been doing. I just added color to this piece. It was called The Clearing, and it was a very monotone palette. It was actually one of the favorite paintings at my shows. But you know, it just didn't sell. So I decided to take a breath, (a couple of breaths actually), and re-work this painting, add color, and actually change the path of light in the painting.        So what do you think now? I kind of like it! I like the new light coming through, and I like the blues that are in here now, that didn't used to be, and the light browns and yellows. And I like this little trunk, that gives you a place to sit when you're at the clearing of the woods. A limited edition print of the original Clearing is   available here.   As a reminder, if you dec

That One Tree Again

   It's that one tree again.  It's actually the same tree, but in different prints. That is the beauty of linocut printing. You first carve the plate, then print the plate, then paint, embellish, layer, texture, paper it,  add or subtract to it. So each one is a one of a kind original piece of art.   It's that one tree, where I used to go when I was a child and we lived next to the woods. It was actually just a vacant lot, but to my 8 year old mind it was the vast woods. And in the back of that woods there was that one tree, where I would go to play, pretend, think and pray. I still remember the absolute invincible wonder and peace I felt when I was there.     So now as an adult, when I paint, or carve, or draw, I'm going back to that one tree.  That One Tree is available in my  shop here So what do you think about That One Tree? Do you have a memory of the one tree in your mind? I would love to hear about your one tree.