Skip to main content

so this is where the jewelry gets it's start


Many years ago I had a little store, about the size of a large walk in closet. In this store I sold hand painted clothing and art. I hand painted the clothing using acrylic paint. This type of paint is wonderful, bright and colorfast, BUT it dries quickly and once it does, it cannot be mixed back into paint. Ever. So, it dries on the palette and starts to layer. Occasionally I would peel the dried paint off the pallette and start afresh.
One day I had just cleaned off my palette and had this glorious mess of schlokked paint that just beckoned to be upcycled into something. Right then, in walked two dear friends of mine, my minister and his wife. I held up the paint and said, "This is too pretty to throw away, but I don't know what to do with it. He said (Note: HE) "Well, you could always cut it up and make it into jewelry!" Oh, we got a good laugh out of it that day. Imagine, making paint into jewelry! But later I thought, wow, that idea could've been from God! I should do it. I cut the palette up into interesting pieces, glued earring backs on them, and launched my new line.
Now, 21 years and a lot of dried paint later, I am still making one of a kind jewelry pieces from dried acrylic paint. The pieces have evolved and I collage them with all kinds of other stuff, but I haven't lost the thrill of seeing paint become wearable art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parts of Parts of Art workshop

In this lively workshop we will focus on designing and producing the components of mixed media art jewelry. By the end of the day, guests will be able to take home several pieces of wearable art of their own design. 

Components include but are not limited to handmade textured paper, acrylic paint skins, canvas remnants, polymer clay beads, paper beads, and various painted and textured surfaces. All materials will be provided to guests. Yummy snacks, drinks and lunch are also provided.

Parts of Parts of Art workshop will take place on Saturday, March 3

Autumnal palette (literally)

Know what inspires me in this autumnal season? Copper! 


Here’s a recipe from Bustanoby’s Color Manual, copyright 1939 (no, its not edible):

Copper: Neutral tint of red-orange, typical of this ductile, metallic element. Copper is used in the arts, in electrical manufacture and in alloys.  Color matched from actual copper articles: 
16 parts Zinc White
8 parts Yellow Ochre
1 part Venetian Red



        So there you have it; the recipe for copper paint. And if you’re like me, and feel compelled to pull that dried copper paint off its palette, you might procure pieces such as these. 



       This might be just an ordinary old paint pan with layers of dried creamy caramel and burnt sienna paint to some. To me it is a mouth watering concoction of harmonious blends that make me wanna exile to the studio, fire up the wood stove and make jewelry. 

And yes, this is where it starts....

       When I’m not really feeling the creative juices flowing, when I am in a gray space, desiring some inner spark to ign…

Greenery!!

Greenery is the Pantone color of the year for 2017. Why is this exciting? According to Pantone spokeswoman Beatrice Eiseman, 
“Greenery bursts forth in 2017 to provide us with the hope we collectively yearn for amid a complex social and political landscape. Satisfying our growing desire to rejuvenate, revitalize and unite, Greenery symbolizes the reconnection we seek with nature, one another and a larger purpose.”

This Spring and Summer, Greenery will be showing up in fashion, jewelry and home decor. It is the must-have color for the season.
Here are some jewelry options for you:

Forest Floor cuff bracelet


Green earth dangles 


Spring green dangles 

All of these and more are available here
Want to see more about Pantone? 
Here’s a colorful trip down memory lane for those of you who have lived at least four decades
PANTONE the Right Color: 40 Years of Color Pantone looks back at four decades of color and
culture on the occasion of its 40th anniversary. It reflects the influences of world events, …