Skip to main content


She came into my booth at one of my art markets, and she and I both knew she was going to acquire a Parts of Art jewelry piece.
When a woman enters my booth, she is not barraged with my complete inventory. I don't want it to look like a flea market. I have four display boards that have a selection of pieces in seasonal color combinations. I also have a few pieces on mannequins, so my clients can get an idea how the piece harmonizes with clothing. What I do is offer a short explanation of the jewelry- what its humble origins are, and how each piece is one of a kind. If she continues to show interest, I will ask her questions. "What colors do you like to wear? Do you like the dangle style earrings or something more conservative?" Once we engage in conversation, I can quickly find something in my inventory that I think she might like. Sometimes it is an immediate connection, and other times it becomes a treasure hunt.
This woman and her dear husband were sure they wanted something to celebrate the imminent birth of their first child. She was interested in black and white. Understated elegance and totally one of a kind.
So many times when I am in the jewelry making process I get done with my work day, and when I look at what I have made I think "Wow! Who would wear such a thing! What was I thinking!" But then I go to my market, put it out there, and someone eventually comes in that perfectly fits the piece. For me that is like a big gratifying paycheck; it's like I made it for her before I met her!
Such was the case with this client, who found a necklace, earrings and bracelet that perfectly went with her look.
Once again, a harmonious blend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Line-up

 Look what's coming up in the new year! First up: Artful Journaling. Guests will receive a blank journal of watercolor paper, access to all kinds of art supplies, with limited instruction and demos. Snacks, coffee and lots of laughter will be provided.  Next up: Relax, Unwind & Refresh. Great way to start off the new year! Guests will be making a frameable art piece at the table with friends. Wine, sparkling cider and charcuterie board will be provided. Also this month: Art Class, every Thursday afternoon from 1-3 PM. Bring your own artwork in progress or join in the group project. Coffee and snacks, limited instruction and plenty of camaraderie will be provided.   Register here  for any classes or events. See you soon!

Visual harmony

One way visual harmony is achieved is by use of color. Colors harmonize when they are similar to one another, either in their tone, tint,  or hue. Even contrasting colors harmonize with each other when they are balanced by size, shape, direction, line or texture. My lovely client came into my booth wearing a fuschia scarf with a geometric pattern. We found earrings to harmonize her look. The earrings are similar in color and line.  How do you think we did? What would you do differently? To see more jewelry pieces that harmonize, go to sandyartparts.etsy.com                                                                        

Big News!

      For awhile now I have been thinking about sustainability with my work.  As in, how long can I honestly sustain this pace of doing art shows all over the midwest? Which I love, mind you, BUT. You may not know this but I'm not getting any younger! The gamble with shows is that, even with the best preparations, it may not be worth all the trouble. It could be a great show, with sales non-stop, or the opposite, with barely enough to cover expenses. And whether great, good or bad, it still requires the same immense energy. Not to mention gas, lodging and food. I am not complaining; I've had a pretty good show season. That being said, I have been thinking alot about sustainability.        I'm also thinking ahead about the daily routine of going out to the studio (which I love) and starting the  fire in the woodstove  (also love) and then waiting the hours it takes to get it warm enough to work.  Add to that how the groundhogs have m...