Skip to main content

Sunflower Field

 Here’s my illustrated journal entry for today:

It’s all about sunflowers and gratefulness and what one has to do with the other.




It started two weeks ago when I visited a local produce market for pumpkins and squash, and noticed they have a giant field of sunflowers. It was a yummy autumn day, and I was allowed to take pictures of the flowers.



     I am also part of a 30 day photo challenge online where every day there is a topic, and today’s topic was gratitude. Wow, where to begin? There’s so much to be grateful for. I just heard a minister teach on God is light. He shared how a sunflower literally turns its head from east to west in the course of a day to follow the light, and at night reorients itself so that it will face east in the morning again. I’m speechless at the beauty and simplicity of that analogy. That God designed that into nature. That He invented sunflowers to follow the light. That as a follower of  God and His Word I can do the same thing. And that I just took all these pictures of sunflowers. Grateful. So so grateful. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Line-up

 Look what's coming up in the new year! First up: Artful Journaling. Guests will receive a blank journal of watercolor paper, access to all kinds of art supplies, with limited instruction and demos. Snacks, coffee and lots of laughter will be provided.  Next up: Relax, Unwind & Refresh. Great way to start off the new year! Guests will be making a frameable art piece at the table with friends. Wine, sparkling cider and charcuterie board will be provided. Also this month: Art Class, every Thursday afternoon from 1-3 PM. Bring your own artwork in progress or join in the group project. Coffee and snacks, limited instruction and plenty of camaraderie will be provided.   Register here  for any classes or events. See you soon!

Big News!

      For awhile now I have been thinking about sustainability with my work.  As in, how long can I honestly sustain this pace of doing art shows all over the midwest? Which I love, mind you, BUT. You may not know this but I'm not getting any younger! The gamble with shows is that, even with the best preparations, it may not be worth all the trouble. It could be a great show, with sales non-stop, or the opposite, with barely enough to cover expenses. And whether great, good or bad, it still requires the same immense energy. Not to mention gas, lodging and food. I am not complaining; I've had a pretty good show season. That being said, I have been thinking alot about sustainability.        I'm also thinking ahead about the daily routine of going out to the studio (which I love) and starting the  fire in the woodstove  (also love) and then waiting the hours it takes to get it warm enough to work.  Add to that how the groundhogs have m...

Visual harmony

One way visual harmony is achieved is by use of color. Colors harmonize when they are similar to one another, either in their tone, tint,  or hue. Even contrasting colors harmonize with each other when they are balanced by size, shape, direction, line or texture. My lovely client came into my booth wearing a fuschia scarf with a geometric pattern. We found earrings to harmonize her look. The earrings are similar in color and line.  How do you think we did? What would you do differently? To see more jewelry pieces that harmonize, go to sandyartparts.etsy.com